For Email Newsletters you can trust
Search:

Brass Trade Sign

Hupfel's Brewery in History: The Bronx, NY

This important brewery was located on St. Ann's Avenue from E. 158th to E. 160th, the vaults extending back into the hillside of Eagle Avenue. A few old-timers swore the caverns tunneled under St. Ann's Avenue as well. The original brewery was owned by an Xavier Grant, who sold it to a Mr. Schilling. In 1863, Anton Huepfel [spelled this way] bought the brewery and it passed to his 2 stepsons who had taken his name. They were Adolph and John. The partnership dissolved in 1883, and Adolph became the sole owner. He had 2 sons and 2 daughters, the elder son studying brewery and bacteriology in Berlin and Copenhagen. This was Adolph G. Hupfel (he americanized the name) who later adapted the brewery to a mushroom plantation during Prohibition. The family plot of this brewing family is adjoining those of the Eichler and Kolb families (two other noted Brewery owners) in Woodlawn Cemetery.

Excerpted from History in Asphalt, by John McNamara

This wonderful trade sign is made of patinated brass and is in excellent condition.  It is half round to be displayed on a column outside or inside or perhaps even on a barrel or a keg.  The sign is engraved . . . the letters and decoration are cut out of the brass and then the surface is patinated much like those items from the Arts and Crafts Movement.  The sign is signed by the maker, PH. Rheinwald Jr. N.Y.  Presumably O'Neills is the name of the tavern that proudly served the Hupfel's beer . . . the sign was most likely provided by the brewery as an advertising incentive. 
Size is 15 1/2" wide and 25-1/2" tall.  c. 1880's. 

R3D20339  

 Questions? Ask the Ferret!

 

2003 - 2020 House of the Ferret